Week 10 reflection

The generative tensions from the Lumina podcast and HSI critique, plus the underscoring of interdisciplinary fields in the Rivera/Nadal piece, remind me of Ferguson and some other American Studies scholars (that’s the space I’ve been thinking in recently) particularly with what Lisa Lowe articulated -in writing about Asian American studies though I think is applicable here, too- in this sentence: “student activism for [Asian American] studies in our contemporary moment is to an “identity” movement in search of cultural “roots,” it is a voicing of racial consciousness that seeks to bring this history into the university, that seeks to refuse this disavowal.” I read Lowe’s analysis as applicable to curriculum, general pedagogy, and institutional university relations. From this, what is useful to explore in the tension between identity and consciousness? A tiny, poorly crafted noes app word cloud below to break up from the written word a bit, to show what I’m beginning to think about with these two concepts:

3 thoughts on “Week 10 reflection

1. Matt Brim

Samantha,
    There’s an instructive act of misquoting in your response, namely, a missing “not.” Lowe’s quote should read “is not an ‘identity’ movement…” What I love about you inadvertently (I think?) dropping the “not” is that readers could almost convince themselves that there is an argument for conflating “identity” and “consciousness.” At least I tried to make this incorrect pairing work until I realized I just couldn’t, and that’s what made me think the quote was not right. And then your visual got me thinking even further about how concepts exist in tension, and that *maintaining* that tension (difference, distinction, definition) can be really important rather than letting words such as “identity” and “consciousness” overlap or filter into each other. Want to think more about this…so, thanks.
    Matt

2. Katina Rogers (she/her)

Samantha, this has me thinking about how often moments of cognitive tension seem to demand that I break my usual routines—in this case, the way you have broken up the usual typed blog post in favor of a still-digital but handwritten note. I’m thinking a lot about the form of responses this week, and I wonder: what happens to our *thinking* when we use our *bodies* differently to articulate it?

3. Lucien Baskin

You’ve given us a lot to think about here with the relationship between identity and consciousness and the tension that exists there. I hope we can discuss the field of Asian American studies at CUNY (specifically Hunter) today, as well as how it fits within ethnic studies.